Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tokopah Falls 5.15.2011

Moving to Southern California occupied my attention for the last month. Now that I'm back, here's a few Spring photos. I don't know what the Sierra looks like now, aside from the Mineral King Webcams, but in May the snow remained thick. One could get up to Tokopah Falls by walking around snow piles, hurtling fallen trees, and praying that the ice over creeks would hold their weight.
Bridge across from Lodgepole Parking Area:
From what I've heard, the rivers are ridiculously swollen now. The Sierra had about 4 times normal snowpack and it's finally summer...
Alta Peak, as seen from Moro Rock summit:

Unfortunately, it was foggy on top of Moro that day. I waited over an hour for some clearing, but didn't get much more.

Up the trail from Lodgepole, it became sunny for short intervals. Air temperature was lower than during my snow shoeing trip in February.


Tokopah Falls was visible toward the end of this walk. Icy rocks prevented me from climbing up there, but it was still inspiring.

Hopefully I can get into Mineral King this summer. I got too close to Sawtooth Peak before that storm appeared. If the snow ever does melt, I'll certainly head up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment